Thursday 26 October 2017

Cracked Mercury Glass Mixed Media Tutorial


Hi guys!  Autumn with you today to share another variation of the cracked glass technique, originally shown on Wendy Vecchi's blog.  This time I've geared my color scheme towards a mercury glass feel.  In my never ending quest for new and exciting techniques to share with you, this has to be an all time favorite.  


I cut my white mat board to size, then painted with PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Metallic White Fire.  Next, I distressed the edges of the panel heavily and sponged black archival ink on the edges and into the center, using a wet wipe to smear and burnish.


I used a palette knife to scrape on IndigoBlu Super Thick Slap It On paste then stamped the Crackleglaze stamp repeatedly into the wet paste.  (Make sure to wash your stamp immediately.)  Next I brushed on black gesso and burnish into the cracks.  You can also use a black Distress Crayon.  I have used both and like the gesso method best because it is more subtle.  I used my panel to create a layered frame to display a favorite santa photo.  My photo is packed away just yet, but I can't wait to dig it out in November and replace this Found Relative.  The clip will allow me to switch the photos easily


I was so pleased with the result in this color combination that I decided to try the same process on a die cut.  Everyone needs a little mercury glass snowflake in their lives, right?!  I cut the snowflake from thin chipboard, then coated with thick white gesso, then repeated the process above.  I laid a weight on the snowflake so it would dry flat.


To finish off this project I inked up a red panel then tried a two step stencil technique (which I just made up and love).  First I taped my stencil down to my inky card then tapped the edges with Versamark ink and applied Silver Liquid Glass EP.  I heat set then repositioned my stencil and sponged with black.  I used a wet wipe to wipe the black off of the silver embossed areas.


I am addicted to the drama of this card!  I think it would be great to finish both sides of the snowflake and make it a removable ornament on a card.  Hmm, maybe next time.  :)


As I said, I've had a time experimenting with this cracked glass technique.  My first, particularly grungy attempt can be found  HERE.


My golden glass project can be found HERE.  Man, I hope your gears are turning and you're thinking up new ways to expand on this technique!  I hope you'll share a link to your project in the comments if you give it a go.  Thanks so much for joining us today, Autumn

16 comments:

  1. AWESOME techniques here, Autumn! Your cracked mercury glass looks fabulous, and it tickles me pink that two great minds were working almost in harmony! Your two step stenciling technique is a winner, too, and is perfect to show off that mercury glass snowfake. (Yes, I did that intentionally, and YES, my tree is loaded with m.g.s.f.'s! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Autumn! Some fantastic techniques here. Can't wait to try! Love the idea of the snowflake die cut made into an ornament and your photo display looks gorgeous, brilliant ideas all round! Thank you for a very inspiring post ! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the wonderful and inspirational post and for the step by step. I love learning new techniques and will be giving this one a go...Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a interesting technique. I really love the results! I especially like the snowflake. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I love this latest mercury crackled glass technique on your card and the snowflake looks amazing! Loving your background on the snowflake card, it really does have drama - it is beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular makes Autumn, your technique certainly does give a dramatic effect. Love the idea of interchanging your photographs on the first piece, the clips are so useful for allowing that but the snowflake is glorious a real show stopper of a Christmas card and the colourway is delightful.
    Thank you for these inspirational makes.
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic technique Autumn, love the dramatic colour contrasts you've used and the idea of being able to swap out the photo. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over to see this technique and I'm so inspired. A must try for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These techniques are incredible and so inspiring. I need to get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have a similar stamp - must try this! Love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely gorgeous - I must try this - thankyou autumn xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Total Gorgeousness, Autumn!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! What a fabulous technique, Autumn!! I love how it looks in all the different colours .. absolutely brilliant! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant version of the method Autumn!!!!! LOVE how the results look when you use it as a base or die cut it. Must definitely give it a go. Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous tutorial - thanks for sharing it with us all.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic idea and tutorial and really love the combination with the tartan red. Just gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete